On Sunday, 11th of July, 2021, the family of Fasasi announced the death of renowned singer and songwriter, Olanrewaju Fasasi, popularly known as Sound Sultan aged 44.
The news which brought grief in the heart of many especially fans and loved ones has caused many to write tributes to pay their last respect to the renowned entertainer.
The late singer who is majorly known for his songs, however wore other hats asides music in the entertainment industry. Here are 17 Things to Know about Sound Sultan:
1. Olanrewaju Abdul-Ganiu Fasasi popularly known as Sound Sultan was born November 27, 1976 at Jos, Plateau State.
2. Sound Sultan was a Nigerian rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, comedian, and recording artist. He was regarded as one of the pacesetters of modern hip hop music, and noted for using his music to speak against poverty, corruption, bad governance and societal ills in Nigeria.
3. His Genres of music were R&B, hip hop, reggae, Afrobeat.
4. In 1991, he took interest in music, miming at school parties and writing his own lyrics.
5. He started learning how to play the guitar after his secondary school education and was in a band by 1999.
6. Sound Sultan’s career in show business started in the 1990s, when he hosted shows to raise money for studio sessions. By 1999, he had won numerous local talent-hunt shows.
7. He released his first single “Jagbajantis” in 2000, which was a hit in Nigeria. After independently releasing other singles and featuring in hit songs of other artists, he was signed by Kennis Music.
8. Under Kennis Music, he released four albums. By 2007, his contract with the label expired and he partnered with Baba Dee to start Naija Ninjas, a parent organization for a record label, production outfit and clothing line.
9. In 2009, Sound Sultan married his long-term girlfriend Chichi Morah, now known as Farida Fasasi from the Igbo ethnic group. They are blessed with three children.
10. Under Naija Ninjas, he released Back From The Future (2010) and signed artists such as Karma Da Rapper, Young GreyC, Shawn and Blacka.
11. Sound Sultan began a working relationship with Wyclef Jean when featured alongside 2face Idibia and Faze on “Proud to be African” from Wyclef’s Welcome to Haiti: Creole 101 album. They have collaborated on two other projects: “King of My Country” (2009) and “People Bad” (2012).
12. In 2012, it was announced that Sound Sultan was made a UN Ambassador for Peace for his exemplary lifestyle and career.
13. In 2015, Sound Sultan released the rap single “Remember” after a long absence from the music scene.
14. After the fallout of the African Basketball League, Sound Sultan joined forces with the organizers of the Continental Basketball League to become a team owner of Lagos City Stars (the 2017 champions) and a facilitator of the league entertainment.
15. He featured on Honorebel’s 2019 single “Bridal” with Joe El.
16. On May 12, 2021, it was reported that Sound Sultan was somewhere in America receiving chemotherapy as he was reportedly diagnosed with throat cancer (Angioimmunoblastic T-cell Lymphoma).
17. He died July 11, 2021 at the age of 44 as a result of complications from the illness. And was buried on Monday, 12, July 2021, according to Muslim rites.
Culled from Wikipedia