The United Kingdom said it will impose visa ban and other sanctions against people that engage in electoral violence in the forthcoming general elections.
Disclosing this in a statement, the Minister of State for Development and Africa Right Hon Andrew Mitchell said. “Nigeria matters to the UK, and we are following the run up to these Presidential, National Assembly and Gubernatorial elections very closely.
Continuing, he said: “Over the last two months I have met four of the presidential candidates and the Chairman of INEC, and emphasised our support for the process and our commitment to a strong relationship between our two countries.
“It is vital for Nigeria’s stability and democratic consolidation that the electoral process is free, fair, and credible. I encourage all actors in Nigeria to intervene proactively to calm any tensions and prevent violence in the periods before, during and after the elections.
“I call on party officials at all levels to respect human rights and electoral laws and institutions and take a firm stand against violence and hate speech. I strongly condemn any actions that undermine the peaceful and transparent conduct of the electoral process.
“Where the UK is aware of attempts to subvert democratic processes at the National or State level we are prepared to take action against those who engage in or incite electoral violence and other anti-democratic behaviours. These actions could include preventing people from obtaining UK visas or imposing sanctions under our human rights sanctions regime.
“The UK Government remains committed to supporting credible and inclusive elections, which are fundamental to Nigeria’s continued democratic growth and to the future of regional and global democracy.”
- Why FG borrowed N2.13trn in 2mths- DMO
- INSPIRING! How My Family Survived Poverty through the Power of Self Education, frugality-Author of “Becoming a Nigerian: A Guide”
- How businessman moved from nothing to having over N60 million
- EXCLUSIVE! 5 Locations for Quality Children’s Clothes at Good Price in Lagos
- How to earn 10% interest on your Small Savings
- How To Keep Your Business Running After Working Hours
- Why Marriage Helps People Generate More Wealth
- How I turned my “small” travel blog to a 6-figure business-Female Blogpreneur
- 10 Lucrative Side Hustles to Support your Business
- I can get every man I set my eyes on – Lady Reveals
- The Knock that Prevented Our Wedding Night Experience from Happening – New Bride Reveals
- 5 Best Sex Positions to Build Up Intimacy with your Partner