On the 2nd of August, 2021, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba approved the appointment of Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Tunji Disu as the new Head of the Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT) to replace DCP Abba Kyari.
Recall that TheNewsBeam reported that the IGP, Usman Baba recommended the immediate suspension of DCP Abba Kyari, over his alleged connection with notorious fraudster, Abbas Ramon (Hushpuppi). This followed an immediate suspension of Kyari on the 1st of August, 2021 by the Police Service Commission (PSC).
Following Kyari’s suspension, Police spokesman, Frank Mba, in a statement on Monday, 2nd August, 2021 announced the appointment of Tunji Disu as the one to step into Kyari’s shoes.
Here are 5 things to know about the new Head of the Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT):
– Prior to his appointment as the new Head of the IRT, DCP Tunji Disu, a former Commander of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) Lagos State, was the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Department of Operations, Force Headquarters, Abuja.
– He had also previously served at the State CID, Rivers State as the Deputy Head of the Unit. He was also a former Commander of the Nigeria Police Contingent to the African Union (AU) Peace Keeping Mission in Dafur, Sudan.
– DCP Disu holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the Lagos State University (LASU) and a Masters Degree in Public Administration from the Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State.
– He has also attended several professional courses both at home and abroad: Small Arms Smuggling Training in Botswana, Internet Fraud Training at the Cambridge University, UK, Strategic Leadership Command Course at the Police Staff College, Jos, Forensic Investigations and Criminal Intelligence Course at the University of Lagos, amongst others.
– He is a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Nigeria Institute of Public Relations and Chattered Institute of Personnel management, amongst other professional bodies.