Several countries have sounded the alarm regarding the newly detected Coronavirus variant, Omicron.
The new variant identified as B.1.1.529 is said to be highly transmissible and has more alterations to its spike protein than any other variant.
Countries around the world have also taken proactive measures, including travel bans, to curb the spread of the virus.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Key Things To Know About The Latest COVID-19 Variant
Here is a full list of the countries that have reported the appearance of the Omicron variant.
- South Africa: The attention of the world was called to the new variant after it was detected in South Africa, last week.
- Hong Kong: Two cases of the Omicron strain have been reported in Hong Kong. The country reported the cases just after South Africa.
- Australia: Sydney health officials have detected a strain of Covid Omicron in two passengers. A Qatar Airways flight via Doha brought both passengers from southern Africa to Australia.
- Britain: The British health minister Sajid Javid also disclosed that two linked cases of the new variant detected were travelers from southern Africa
- Botswana: So far, one case of the new Coronavirus variant has been detected in the country
- Belgium: The Belgian authorities have also detected one case of the new variant of Omicron
- Canada: Two people who recently visited Nigeria were confirmed to have the COVID-19 variant, Omicron in Canada on Monday, November 29, 2021.
- Denmark: New cases were also recorded in Denmark
- Germany: The omicron variant was confirmed in two travelers who arrived on a flight from South Africa on November 24.
- Israel: The health ministry of Israel said the new variant was discovered in a person who had arrived from Malawi on November 26.
- Italy: According to Italian news agency LaPresse, an Italian who visited Mozambique has tested positive for the omicron variant. Additionally, two school-age children and five other family members have tested positive for the disease.
- The Netherlands: The Dutch health authorities have said that they have detected 61 Covid-19 cases among people who flew from South Africa on Friday and believe at least some infections are of the new omicron variant.
- Switzerland: The Federal Office for Public Health took to the microblogging site, Twitter to announce that a case of the virus was detected. A person who returned to Switzerland around a week ago from South Africa is the subject of this case.
- Japan: reported its first case of the omicron variant Tuesday, less than a day after imposing strict restrictions on inbound travel to prevent the spread of the new strain.
- Nigeria: Nigeria has become the first country in West Africa to confirm cases of the new variant. It was recorded on December, 1.
- Saudi Arabia also confirmed its first case of the new Omicron COVID-19 variant on December 1, 2021.