The Federal government of Nigeria has finally reacted to the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry report on the #EndSARS protest of last October.
It should be recalled that The NewsBeam had earlier reported that the Lagos state government set up the panel whose report indicted the men of the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Police Force for shooting at unarmed protesters. These were claims that the federal and state governments had vehemently debunked.
Speaking at a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday, Lai Mohammed, the Minister of information and culture insisted that there was no massacre on October 20, 2020.
He further stated that the findings of the panel were not backed up by facts and couldn’t be trusted as it’s ‘riddled with discrepancies’.
Lai said, “Without mincing words, never in the history of any judicial panel in Nigeria has a report been so riddled with discrepancies and conclusions that are not backed up [with facts],” the Minister said.
“It was a phantom massacre. The report in circulation cannot be relied upon. The leakage of an unsigned report to the public is not enough. There is absolutely nothing in the report, circulating, to change our mind that there was a massacre at the Lekki tollgate”, the Minister added.