Banana bread is a type of bread made from mashed bananas. It is often a moist, sweet, cake-like quick bread.
Banana bread first became a standard feature of American cookbooks with the popularization of baking soda and baking powder in the 1930s. However, National Banana Bread day is celebrated in the US every 23rd of February.
Some food historians believe banana bread was a byproduct of the Great Depression as resourceful housewives did not wish to throw away overripe bananas (as they were still a costly item to purchase).
Others believe the modern banana bread was developed in corporate kitchens to promote flour and baking soda products.
It could also be a combination of both theories, as far as it’s developed in a corporate kitchen to promote flour and baking soda products, as well as marketed as a method to make use of overripe bananas.
Quick facts about Banana Bread:
Firstly, be aware that banana bread is easy to make. It takes a total of 1 hr 15 min to bake, I.e 15 mins for preparation and 1hr for baking the loaf.
Ingredients Needed (For 1loaf):
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the eggs and sugar.
- Then Stir in the mashed bananas, vanilla, oil and cinnamon.
- Afterwards, Stir in the flour mixture gently and mix properly
- Pour the batter into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, and Bake for about 1 hour.
Curled from food network