The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has declared that the ban on Twitter so far has been very effective following reports of its huge financial losses running into billions.
Lai Mohammed said this on Wednesday while addressing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council.
Recall that the Federal Government on Friday, 4th June 2021 announced the indefinite suspension of Twitter, stating the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence as the reason for the ban.
However, Mohammed stated that the management of the tech giant, Twitter, has reached out for dialogue.
He explained that the microblogging platform was suspended because it provided an avenue for people threatening the corporate existence of Nigeria.
According to him, the owner of Twitter helped to fund the recent #EndSARS protest while allowing the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, use the platform to call for the killing of policemen.
He said Twitter failed to take down Kanu’s tweets despite repeated requests to do so. Mohammed listed conditions that must be met even if there is a discussion with Twitter including that it must now be registered in Nigeria as a business concern.
Apart from Twitter, he said other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram must be registered in the country.
He said freedom of speech has not been stifled by the suspension of Twitter as Nigerians can still use other platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
Furthermore, Mohammed insisted on the ban and asked politicians to rise beyond various divisions and queue behind the country’s decision to ban the microblogging site.